Everyone’s talking about soy wax, but what exactly ARE the benefits?
You’ve most probably heard and seen that more and more candle companies are starting to produce their candles from soy wax and parting ways with paraffin wax. Why is this I hear you say?
Paraffin wax is a big no-no to the environment. Here are just a few reasons why:
- Derived from petroleum – yes you heard me, petroleum. This is a non-renewable, solid wax made from saturated hydrocarbons. Doesn’t sound very pleasant already.
- Burns at a high temperature – this can release harmful toxins into the environment and to you when you breathe them in. This also means that the candle runs out quicker so you end up having to buy even more of them!
- Lots of soot! – Ever seen those black marks left on your candle vessel or on the walls of your home? That soot contains those disgusting toxins, eleven in actual fact, which are known carcinogens! Those toxins give off emissions that exceed environmental standards for outdoor air quality and we’re burning these candles INDOORS. Whenever we burn a paraffin wax candle, we’re increasing air pollution and it’s happening right inside our homes!
Thankfully, Michael Richards sought a solution and so soy wax was brought to the candle-making industry in 1991.
But what’s so good about soy wax?
- Long lasting – soy wax has a lower melting temperature so your candle can burn slower (about 40-50% slower than paraffin wax candles) and the scent is released gradually so your home can smell more refreshing for longer.
- 100% biodegradable – that’s right, you can relax knowing that the wax is breaking down without causing harm to you or the environment.
- Sustainable – soy wax is derived from soybeans (vegetables), so it’s a completely natural and renewable source.
- Clean burn – essentially ‘soot-less’ or very little soot is produced so none of those nasty toxins are being released into the air upon burning the candle. By trimming the wick after the candle has cooled down you can further reduce the chances of soot build up.
So if you want to help the environment whilst indulging in a beautifully scented candle, head over to my product page now where you can purchase your very own natural soy and coconut wax candle.